Monday 25 June 2012

The Warrior Heir

Courtesy of Cinda Williams Chima's website
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Rating: C+

This book actually took me two tries to get through; the first time I sat down to read it I didn’t get to the second chapter before giving up.  Now having actually read through the whole thing (a number of years later), I’m not entirely sure if my first impression was right or not.  The world that Chima creates is an interesting one, but I couldn’t help but feel as though she was withholding information the entire time.  Granted, authors are always withholding information, but in The Warrior Heir it’s done in a way that’s more annoying than intriguing.

The Warrior Heir follows fifteen-year-old Jack Swift, who for much of his life appeared to be an unremarkable boy.  Then one day he forgets to take his medicine and his life drastically changes; while at soccer tryouts he unleashes a power that he never knew he had, then his aunt shows up and takes him on a trip to retrieve some magic sword…. From there Jack learns that he’s a part of an underground society of magical people, the Weirland.  He is a warrior, a pawn in the battle between wizards, and is expected to compete in a fight to the death with another warrior; the house to whom the warrior belongs to gets to have control over all the Weirland.

In general, I enjoyed this story.  There were a lot of elements to it that I found to be really intriguing and I did really get into the characters.  At the same time, I disliked the way that information was presented, and the fact that so much of it was provided in a taunting manner.  I like reading works set in vastly detailed worlds, but in The Warrior Heir I couldn’t help but shake the feeling that Chima had half assed the creation of a detailed world.  A lot of terminology is thrown at the readers, and it’s stated that there’s a lot of history behind the Wierland, but I found that the attempts to develop it just left me confused.  This is just another one of those books that left me wanting more from it instead of more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment