Tuesday 31 July 2012

Dr. No (1962)

Director: Terence Young
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Rating: B

Prior to last night I had never actually watched a single James Bond movie.  I’d seen bits and pieces growing up – my dad was a fan – but I’d never watched an episode from start to finish.  Having now done so I’m not entirely sure what to think.  I wouldn’t say that Dr. No is a bad movie, but it’s definitely not what I expect when I think of an action movie – although a huge part of that would be the result of cultural differences that have developed since the 60s.

Another thing that may be an element of its time is the sheer simplicity of the plot: a British intelligence agent, John Strangeways (Timothy Moxon), is ambushed and killed in Jamaica.  The result is that MI6 agent James Bond (Connery) is tasked with going to Jamaica and investigating the death – and determining whether or not it’s related to a cooperation with the CIA on a case involving the disruption of rocket launches.  While in Jamaica Bond liaises with CIA operative Felix Leiter (Lord) and Strangeway’s employee Quarrel (Kitzmiller) and sleeps with the film’s Bond girls.  He also learns about the reclusive Dr. No (Wiseman), who owns the island of Crab Key – which is reportedly guarded by dragons.

I have to say I enjoyed the simplicity of the plot.  It’s something that you really don’t see a lot of these days, especially in action movies.  There’s always some sort of twist – or at least an attempt at one – as the screenwriters and directors try to keep their audiences guessing.  I did find Dr. No to be a bit predictable, but I’m not entirely sure how much of that is a consequence of my being very familiar with post-Bond action movies – many of which utilize similar tropes that I expect would not have been as over used at the time – and how much of it is simply that the film is predictable.   I really liked how all the things that you associate with a James Bond film were already present in Dr. No, despite it being the first of the series – there’s the “Bond, James Bond,” line, the martinis, the Bond Girls, and the theme song that instantly makes you think of Bond.  I’m sure there were other elements that are very thematic of the series but not necessarily as well known as well, and I’m looking forward to picking up on them as I continue with the series.

I did really enjoy Connery as Bond, although I have to say he wasn’t exactly the most charming of heroic characters.  I’m used to my action heroes going through a girl (or two) a movie, I’m just not used to them being so… well, for lack of a better word, Bond is rather chauvinistic.  You can see a bit of TonyStark in him (or perhaps you can see a bit of Bond in Stark?), but something about the straightforwardness of the character makes it really unappealing.  You can also see this in the fact that his sidekick is a plucky black guy who seems to do as much of the work as Bond – if not more – but neither gets credit nor girl.  The girl was similarly portrayed; she struggled between being a damsel in distress and a distressed damsel, but either way she was there so that Bond could save and woo her.  Really rather one sided – but then, I think the only character that had development in this movie was Bond himself.  It was a fun and simple journey, but I don’t think it was an overly developed one.  Once again, though, that could just be an element of the genre and the time.  Random Bond fact: while Ursula Andress portrays Bond Girl Honey Ryder two other actresses (Nikki van der Zyl and Diana Coupland) voiced her, one for her speaking and the other her singing.  Neither of them were mentioned in the film's credits.  Joseph Wiseman, however, was the only early Bond villain to not have his voice dubbed by another actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment