Friday 20 July 2012

Recommendations: July 20

The Dark Knight Rises - I made this joke yesterday and I'll make it again today: "na na na na na na na... BATMAN!” The final instalment in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, if you enjoyed the previous two films you'll like this one.  Clearly, movie producers realize this as there isn't really anything else coming out this week.  I was able to see it at last night's midnight premier, and really enjoyed it - look for my review on Wednesday.

Friends with Kids - I haven't seen this movie yet, but I suspect that I already know how it ends because... well, I watch romantic comedies.  That being said, this one features the same people who did Bridesmaids so... yeah, no. I still know how it ends, but it could be a good journey?

 Singing in the Rain - Did you know it's the 60th anniversary of the Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds musical?  I love musicals and I love Debbie Reynolds, so this is my DVD pick of the week.

High Noon - Speaking of 60th anniversaries, it's also the 60th anniversary of this Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly flick.  I really love how so many of the classics are now being released on Blu-ray, preserving their awesomeness for later generations.

Get the Gringo - Okay, I'll be honest, I have no desire whatsoever to see this movie.  I just find it funny that Mel Gibson is in a movie that features a racial slur in its title. Way to beat that reputation, Mel.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - This book kind of blew my mind the first time that I read it.  About a 15-year-old boy with behavioural and social difficulties, this book makes you see the world in a different way.  Protagonist Christopher John Francis Boone takes it upon himself to investigate the murder of his neighbour's dog, while also dealing with the revelation that his life is not necessarily all that he thinks it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment