Friday 31 August 2012

Recommendations: August 31

Lawless -A western-crime film set during the Depression, Lawless is from newcomer Megan Ellison and already critically acclaimed director John Hillcoat.  IMDb is predicting great things of it, with one writer saying "if this film bombs, I give up and will only watch Fast & Furious/Step Up movies for an entire month."  With a response like that, I almost want Lawless to bomb.

For a Good Time, Call... - About a pair of girls (presumably fresh out of college) who become roommates and through a series of events decide to start their own phone sex line.  This movie is already being compared to Bridesmaids, which I think means it's supposed to be good, but in my opinion can really mean just about anything.  Presumably, it'll be funny.

Battleship - The latest game-turned movie film, Battleship is somehow inspired by the board game of the same name while being about aliens.  I've yet to actually hear a single good thing about this movie... but it has Alexander Skarsgård in it, so it can't be that bad, right?

The Lucky One  - The latest Nicholas Spark film, this one staring Zac Efron.  Like most Efron movies this definitely isn't the best, but still enjoyable.  Don't forget to check out my review of it.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits - I really wasn't a big fan of this animated children's movie, thinking that it kind of fell short of my expectations.  Not the worst, but definitely not up to the bar that Pixar's set.

The Fault in Our Stars - I haven't actually read this book myself, yet, but a friend from work recommended it to me and the little that I've looked at so far has told me that it's going to be a good and funny read.  It's about a teenage girl with cancer, so I'm sure that it's going to end up being of the dark humour type.

No comments:

Post a Comment