Friday 16 November 2012

Recommendations: November 16

I've missed a couple of these so I'm going to just quickly let you know what's come out in the last few weeks that I was planning on recommending. Because I'm going to do more than usual, I'm not going to spend as much time letting you know about the films - check them out on IMDb if you haven't heard of them.

Wreck-It Ralph -The latest from Disney, Wreck-it-Ralph is about a video game villain who sets out to become the hero for once.


Flight - The latest from Denzel Washington, this one's about an airline pilot who saves a flight from crashing. or something.
The Man with the Iron Fists - Somehow, Quentin Tarantino's name is being dropped a lot with this film, even though he's not credited as director, writer, producer, or anything really.  With an interesting cast, however, it looks fun and the trailers kind of make me think of an Asian-themed version of Sin City.

Skyfall - The latest James Bond.  I loved this movie, naming it as one of my favourite in the series.  Check it out now, if you haven't already.

Lincoln - Presumably, this one will be better than this year's other Abraham Lincoln-themed movie, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  This one's actually based on history and features big names like Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field, as Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as their son, Robert.

 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - The thrilling conclusion to the Twilight Saga this one... yeah.  Okay, I'm going to admit two things here: one, I'm planning on seeing this in theatres and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, and two, I'm really glad that this is finally out because (hopefully) it means we can stop talking about Twilight soon.  Right?

Anna Karenina - This one's only getting a limited release, but it still looks great.  Based on the book of the same name by the legendary Leo Tolstoy, I can't wait to see it.  I really enjoy Keira Knightley films, even the bad ones, and think that she's at her best when in costume dramas.

Silver Linings Playbook - Okay, so I know, I know.  I don't really like Bradley Cooper movies, and yet somehow I keep on getting interested by the trailers for his movies this year.  This one features Cooper as a man just out of a mental institute and Jennifer Lawrence as the mysterious girl that he meets.  I'm going to go into this with an open mind; it looks good, it features Jennifer Lawrence, and it's directed by David O. Russell.

Safety Not Guaranteed - A new take on time travel, this one's about magazine employees who interview a guy who placed a classified add seeking a time travel companion.  I love time travel fiction, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

Ruby Sparks - Paul Dano's latest, this one is about a writer who writes his perfect girl into existence.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before, but Ruby Sparks still looked cute.

Brave - The latest Disney Pixar animated film, this one's set in the 10th century Scottish Highlands, and thus features Scottish accents, Scottish music, and an overall amount of cute.  Not the best from them, but I enjoyed it.

Savages -  Also new to DVD is the latest Oliver Stone flick.  Once again, not his best, but definitely not his worst.

The Amazing Spider-Man - Spider-man, Spider-man, does whatever a spider can.  This was fun and great, and despite my disliking of origin stories I really loved it.

Your Sister's Sister - I still haven't seen this one, because it only got a limited release when in theatres, but I'm really looking forward to it - it's about a guy, a girl, and her sister, and the awkwardness that can happen there.

Arthur Christmas -This was actually released in theatres last year, and is only just now being put out on DVD - as is often the case with Christmas movies.  Arthur Christmas is about Santa Claus' oddball son on an attempt to save Christmas and is really cute.  A good way to start off your Christmas season.

John Dies at the End - I've recently started this one and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it.  It's a fantasy and is definitely interesting, but I'm really not sure if I'm enjoying it or not.  I will definitely let you know how I feel about it, but until I do maybe you want to check it out yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment