Monday 14 January 2013

70th Golden Globe Awards: Results

Last night was the 70th Golden Globe Awards.  Which, you know, were entertaining and what not.  Stuff happened, awards were won, Jodie Foster came out (which I swear, I thought she did a few years ago?).

Best Picture - Drama Best Picture - Musical or Comedy Best Actor (Drama)
Argo
Les Misérables
 Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Best Actress (Drama) Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) Best Actress (Musical or Comedy)
 Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
 Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Supporting Actor Best Supporting Actress Best Director
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained 
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
 Ben Affleck, Argo
Best Screenplay Best Original Score Best Original Song
 Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Life of Pi
"Skyfall," Skyfall
Best Animated Feature Best Foreign Language Film
 Brave
Amour

Best Series (Drama)
Best Series (Musical or Comedy) Best Actor (Drama)
 Homeland
Girls
 Damien Lewis, Homeland
Best Actress (Drama) Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) Best Actress (Musical or Comedy)
 Claire Danes, Homeland
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
 Lena Dunham, Girls
Best Actor (Miniseries or TV Film) Best Actress (Miniseries or TV Film) Best Supporting Actor
 Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Julianne Moore, Game Change
 Ed Harris, Game Change
Best Supporting Actress Best Miniseries or TV Film Cecil B. DeMille Award
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Game Change
Jodie Foster

So, a few notes.  I either agreed with or had no opinion on most of the awards (more an agreed with in regards to the movies and no opinion in regards to the TV).  I didn't think that Argo really deserved to win as many awards as it did - the movie is good, yes, but it does bother me as both a Canadian and a historian, and I thought other films were more deserving.  I kind of wish that Bradley Cooper had won best actor instead of Hugh Jackman, and I'm a bit divided on the best actress for a dramatic TV show.  I love that Maggie Smith won her category, and that Anne Hathaway won hers - I also really loved Anne Hathaway's acceptance speech.

For the most part I was neither wowed nor bored by the presenters, although I did think that Jennifer Garner's continuation of husband Ben Affleck's acceptance speech when she presented was a bit tacky.  I did really love Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell's bit - I thought it was great. I also loved how Robert Downey, Jr introduced Jodie Foster.  Oh; the Megan Fox/Jonah Hill thing was lame.  Hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were also great, I particularly loved their monologue and the Sarah Palin jokes.

Finally, Jodie Foster.  I loved her acceptance speech - from when she was talking about her career in general to when she came out.  I was a bit surprised by the coming out itself, not because I didn't realize she was gay but because I swear to God the coming out happened a few years ago when her and long-time partner Cydney Bernard broke up.  She wasn't exactly in the closet anymore, she was simply not commenting on her personal life - something that I respect.  Regardless of her sexuality, I think she was really deserving of the Cecil B. DeMille Award, after nearly 50 years in the film business.

No comments:

Post a Comment