Friday 25 January 2013

Recommendations: January 25

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - The latest from Jeremy Renner, I really, really want to see this movie.  I like the new take on the fairy tale genre, with the badassery, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Movie 43 - This is a series of interconnected shorts based on the idea of three kids browsing through the internet in the search of the most banned movie in the world.  It sounds a lot like New York, I Love You or the director version of New Years Eve.

John Dies at the End - This one's getting a limited release so it'll probably be a challenge to find. However, based on the book of the same name, it follows two college dropouts as they try to save the world from an otherworldy invasion.

End of Watch - I really enjoyed this movie, and really recommend checking it out.  It was a lot better than I expected it to be, simply because it didn't go in the direction that I expected it to.

The Paperboy - This is the movie that's kind of surprised me this year.  I haven't seen it yet, but the response that it got really surprised me.  It's gotten rather mixed reviews, but it's also been nominated for more than a few awards.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I love, love, love, loved this movie.  If you haven't seen it yet, see it now. If you've already seen it, then hey, see it again.

Ysabel - this is an urban fantasy novel by Canadian author Guy Gavriel Kay.  If you haven't read any of Kay's work, then the best reasoning I have for why you should read Ysabel or anything else by him is that when Christopher Tolkien was editing the unpublished work his father, J.R.R. Tolkien, had left behind, it was Kay who helped.  This man literally learned to write by editing the works of Tolkien, so if you're a fantasy fan he should be right up your alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment