Tuesday 21 August 2012

A Note: Phyllis Diller

Courtesy of Wikipedia
It appears as though this is a really bad week for celebrities.  It started with Tony Scott, and now the latest celebrity death is legendary comic Phyllis Diller.

I stumbled onto Diller's comedy completely by accident; she was a frequent roaster in The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts, which I've always enjoyed (seriously, watching people from the 70s sit around and call Dean Martin a drunk and Betty White a slut is hilarious). Diller was an amazing comic and really paved the way for other female comics.  While she hadn't really done stand up much lately, Diller was still an icon and we've lost a legend.

Because of the nature of Diller's work I don't intend to (as of this moment) do any special review for her this week.  She was a stand up comic, not an actress, so I don't think it'd really do her justice to review one of her movies.  I'm not all that familiar with them, so I don't know what role would be fitting to commemorate her.  If there's a Diller movie that you think I should review, let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment